Reading List: Playtime is Over
Andrea Butler’s October 8th lecture, “Playtime is Over: Killer Dolls, Marionettes and Automatons in Horror Cinema“, included references to the following works:
- Connor, Steven. Dumbstruck: A Cultural History of Ventriloquism. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Doane, Mary Ann. “The Voice in Cinema: The Articulation of Body and Space,” Yale French Studies, No. 60, Cinema/Sound (1980), pp. 33-50.
- Freud, Sigmund. “The Uncanny,” Imago, 1919.
- Hoffman, E.T.A. “The Sandman,” The Night Pieces, 1817.
- Mori, Masahiro. “The Uncanny Valley,” 1970. Accessed, September 15, 2014. http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/the-uncanny-valley
- Peters, John Durham. Speaking into the Air: A History of the Idea of Communication. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999.